Since finishing my plan and getting my degree from Marlboro College, I have continued to be interested in the Victorian Bohemian milieu in all of its aspects. I have slowly amassed a small but choice library of books, both primary sources and secondary, about the subject, as well as all of the other books I collect, including anything by Oscar Wilde and as many art books and history books as I'm able to keep in my limited library space.
My last visit to the UK was in 2005, and I found many places of interest to do with the Bohemians. I was particularly thrilled to find the wonderful collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings and memorabilia at the National Art Gallery of Wales, as well as their amazing collection of Augustus John paintings, including several portraits of Dorelia McNeill. I also spent some time in Llandaff Cathedral, outside Cardiff, which has some lovely William Morris stained-glass windows:

There were also some lovely Burne-Jones tiles:
Kind of hard to see, but they're really quite lovely.
And then there are a couple of pictures that my dear friend R in Glasgow will recognize:

Murals from the original Ingram Tea Room in Glasgow which was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the murals were by his wife Margaret MacDonald Mackintosh.
This is an experimental post to see how well the images upload etc., so there may be some editing that needs to be done.
1 comment:
Hello darling,
Your site is fantastic, and I've learned a thing or two reading it! I'll have to look up that material on Constance Wilde...
I've also gone back to finally look at your thesis (!!), and I feel much more equipped to look at it now, incidentally.
One small note - these particular panels are from the Ingram Street Tearoom, not the Willow. ;) You should visit in September, I'm giving a lecture on the panels.
Oh, and I may have a "present" for you from the National Art Library... *mysterious smile*
Cheers,
R
Post a Comment